According to the ASA Monitor, the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ official news publication, 10% of the world’s population suffer from chronic pain. Many who seek treatment and relief from chronic pain opt to see a chiropractor. Chiropractors aim to help your whole body heal itself, improve its function, and relieve pain by adjusting the body’s alignment. While chiropractic’s main form of treatment is spinal manipulation, other treatments are available. These treatments include ergonomic training, exercise, postural education, and manual therapies.
Chiropractic benefits include:
- Reducing muscle spasms. Chiropractors can manipulate your joints and spine to bring back their normal motion, consequently reducing muscle spasms and pain.
- Reducing recovery time. A case study found in the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine described a patient who had been suffering for two years from left lateral elbow pain. After just four weeks of active release techniques (ART), the patient reported the absence of pain, and he was able to play golf three times a week, an activity he could not do before ART.
- Enhancing the immune system. Your immune system is connected to your spine, so misalignment can cause the immune system to be thrown off track affecting its response in fighting infections.
- Improving oxygenation. Chiropractic treatments improve blood flow allowing for more oxygen to be supplied to the brain.
- Increasing nutrient flow. Aside from increasing oxygen supply to the brain, improved blood flow from chiropractic treatments also increase the flow of nutrients to your body.
- Reducing stiffness and pain. Chiropractors adjust misaligned spine and joints to relieve pain and increase mobility.
- Promoting relaxation. A lot of back pain and headaches are caused by chronic stress. Chiropractic helps relieve these symptoms and promotes relaxation.
- Improving digestive function. A misalignment in the spine may signal to the digestive system which could misfire and cause digestive problems. Chiropractic treatment can help with the spine’s alignment, reducing problems with the nervous system.
- Improving athletic performance. Some adjustments to your body could help your performance in sports because of less tissue restriction, reduced pain, and increased joint mobility. Treatment is particularly effective in dealing with pain caused by injury.
- Encouraging tissue regeneration. Since chiropractic increases blood flow, your immune system can repair damaged tissue faster.
Chiropractors can work hand-in-hand with your primary care doctors, surgeons, and other pain experts to help you treat pain in the whole body. Ready to learn more?